April 13, 2010

Downsizing or Upgrading

As I mentioned previously, I'm soon to be quitting my job.  A good job.  A job that pays very well for the area in which I live.  Please, stop yelling at the computer...I can't hear you.  I know the economy isn't good.  I know my timing is probably off.  But I've made this decision, good or bad, and doing what I can to make it a good thing.  And yes, by that I mean alternating between crying like a little girl and wailing to the heavens for God's help....I mean one little winning lottery ticket wouldn't kill him would it?  *sigh*  I guess not. 

Either way, I've begun downsizing the unnecessary expenses in my life.  And you know what the sad part is? Getting rid of a lot of my cable channels was way more traumatic than losing my caller ID and call waiting on the phone.  What the hell does that say about me?  Wait..don't answer that...I already know.  Is my world really going to be so much less if I can't watch Thundaar the Barbarian on Boomerang or help solve Cold Cases on Discovery ID?  Bill Curtis needs me damn it.  And what would happen if, God forbid, I actually had to sit down and read instead and watching my favorite shows. 

It's embarrassing how much time I spent stressing over all these things as I cruised the various satellite providers looking for the best deal.  Has my life really become nothing more than a series of programming choices wrapped up in a nice little $19.99 a month bow?  I thought about it....thought for a long time.  Who was I kidding?  I didn't need my junior college degree to know it was true.  My life was exactly that, but only because I didn't choose to fill with anything more.  I have family and friends, opportunities to do more...be more.  But I haven't. I want to say I'm going to change.  I want to believe I'm going to change.  I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Meanwhile, I'm going to duck out for a few minutes.  I think there's a Powerball drawing tomorrow. 

No comments: